Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Indoor Rain

Friday I set my booth up at the Magnolia Summer Fest. In the grass on the floor of my tent area there was a small depression in the ground with a white circle painted around it. We were worried someone might trip over it, but decided to ignore it.  Saturday morning I got a call from one of the organizers - the city staff had neglected to turn off the automatic sprinkler system. Well I bet you can guess what that small depression was - yes there was a sprinkler head INSIDE my tent!!!!!

My sign was toast. This is the back.
All the rest of my signs were a mess and the table coverings drenched. 
So much for business cards. The power of the sprinkler tossed things off onto the ground. Look at all the water standing in the top of the tub. Luckily I take my merchandise home every night.

Thanks to how secure my tent is I spared all my neighbors any damage. The guy next door was a wood worker so I had him take a look at my tables and chairs. They are toast as they are laminate and once they dry out the laminate will curl and bubble. It has already started to do just that.

I called my sister - help I have a tent emergency! She arrived with towels, sheets, paper and crayons. The girls across the way liked our new sign. Despite the mess we were able to open for business on time.
Today I am working on a claim form to file with the City of Seattle for new tables, chairs and signs. 
Wish me luck!

No comments: