Monday, March 5, 2012

Online Craft Bullies

Ok, time for a little old fashioned climb-on-my-soapbox venting. This weekend while researching where some of the traffic visiting my online store comes from I came across a few visits from a site I did not recognize. So I clicked it.

It was a website that bashes other peoples art/crafts. Hmmm. I am not going to post a link or mention the name because I don't want to encourage any traffic to their site. They don't deserve it. They featured one of my bead art pins.


They post a picture of their find and then the group takes turns posting nasty comments. Their disclaimer is: These crafts aren't necessarily bad crafts. Many are well made and have taken the crafter a lot of time and energy to create; this site’s goal is to showcase those crafts that are funny, weird, strange and make us laugh. We mean no harm and are proud to say that there have been sales for some sellers on various sites due to their craft being featured on this site! We merely want to share the laughs and enjoy the talents of many. Talents which none of us have.

My reaction was anger and hurt. I thought about making my own comment - but you can't once that day has passed. So I vented to a friend via email and then decided to let it go. But after thinking about it over the weekend I thought a blog post was in order. I was reminded of the girls in high school who sat on a bench in the hallway and made nasty comments about others as they walked past - ie: bullies.

I'll be the first to say that I have been in a gallery and whispered to the friend standing next to me what on earth is that, how is that art? But I certainly would not bash that person's work to the world. Beauty, and art, is in the eye of the beholder.

My pins are actually very popular. They have been in 2 galleries, one retail store and I have sold more than 60 of them in the last 1.5 years. So I guess I can laugh all the way to the bank. :)

Climbing off soap box now - thanks for listening.

No comments: