Friday, May 11, 2012

Shutter Re-do

One of the trademarks of my jewelry displays are the black shutters I have been using for more than 10 years. They are vinyl, purchased from a home improvement store. They have held up great over the years. I had been using black foam core for the backs - lightweight, but now that I spend so much time outdoors, they were warping from the humidity and the black duct tape I used to attach them melted on hot summer days.

Thanks to my friends at Shoji Designs I now have new improved shutter backs made from a material called lumasite. They use the material in the creation of some of their custom made Japenese shoji. Visit their website and take a look at their beautiful work. They cut the panels to size for me and then I spray painted them black on one side. I attached them to the shutters using wood strips and screws.
 The new backside. A little paint bled around from the front and sides which were spray painted black. But not enough to worry about, it is the back after all!
Clean sides! No more messy black duct tape.  And the black painted fronts look very sleek as they peek through the slats in the shutters. I am very happy with the finished product.

They are working beautifully. They are heavier so I had to figure out a new way to transport them and my arms will get a good workout this summer! Many thanks to Shoji Designs!!

No comments: